Adam's Grandma Betty passed away last November and his Grandpa passed away 10 years ago. June became the month that the Jardon family determined to clean out their house to get ready to sell. Gus and Betty lived in this house for 56 years!!! There was a lot to sort through and a lot of memories to find and we had fun spending time with extended family at the house reminiscing and learning about some things from 4 generations ago that we did not even know about!
We had a great time staying with Adam's Grandma Toots who just happened to get back in town from Costa Rica the night before we showed up!
The girls with Grandma Toots getting breakfast ready!
At Grandpa Gus and Grandma Betty's house taking a little break!
Cheese everyone! And no you didn't count wrong... that's a lifelike doll in the back that was found in the garage : )
Cousin (or second or third? cousin? I'm not sure how that works!) Lori and Baby Jo!
This is a horrible picture quality but look at the cute look on that boy's face! I couldn't resist!
Pooped out after a long day of work and play!
Another pooped out boy! And look at that cute hat!
Tire swing at the neighbor's house! She looks so acrobatic!
Look at me ... cheese!
Josh played for hours with some old trucks found in the garage... here he is digging in the dirt!
Cousins... or second cousins! These are Adam's cousin Jed and his wife Lori's kiddos and ours! They had so much fun together and it was a great blessing for our kids to gain some memories and pictures with their extended family : )
Playing at the big beautiful park in Gunnison!
Drew (Jed and Lori's son) is very good at baseball and our kiddos started getting an interest in it because of him so here they are doing a little practice with daddy in the backyard at Grandma and Grandpa's house!
And yes that's a Santa Claus bat we found!
Uncle Marty and Beepa!
Lydia showing off her pretty new heels from Grandma Betty!
I snagged this red crib out of the dumpster before it was gone for good... Grandpa Gus made this crib and I thought the girls would love it! Meema Devi also found this old trunk with some handmade doll clothes and accessories... Amelia has been loving it!
We also grabbed this wooden box that was hidden from sight in their covered porch. The crazy thing is about 3 years ago I started looking in toy storage ideas and really wanted a big wooden toy box but couldn't believe the price! I thought maybe some day we could get into some woodworking skills and eventually make our own. In the meantime I've adapted to some cubeicals and large IKEA bins but once I saw this I couldn't believe it! It is perfect for the large amount of car the kids have collected!
Here is a wonderful gem we were allowed to take home with us. This is an 8 ft long picnic table that Grandpa Gus made and was here in their backyard. Meema Devi said she remembers eating in their backyard on this. It hasn't moved for so long there was a little tree growing through the cracks of one of the bench seats!
Adam beginning the sanding process. He's been working on it at home for weeks trying to get it back into sitting shape without getting splinters!
Here it is in a little better shape! We just need to stain it and it'll be ready to go! Pictures to come : )
And we were very blessed to bring home this wooden swing that Grandpa Gus made as well!!
Now here's my favorite project... I had seen the new fad on Pinterest awhile ago and just passed over it but once I saw these old crates that Grandpa Gus used at the fruit farms he worked at I quickly remembered those pins and sought them out... here's what I did...
I cleaned them out and "oiled" them with boiled linseed oil which just adds back the natural moisture and look of the old wood and stamped letters on it...
... and we screwed them together and made a bookshelf!!!!!!! And what's on those shelves/crates? ...
... old treasures! Old books found in boxes in their garage... we found some really neat ones that like the red crib Gus made were on their way to the dumpster!
This is one of my favorite sections... the red book with the spine falling off is a 1953 Home Medical Advisor book... it is so neat to read about healthcare from 62 years ago! Tuberculosis, Measles, etc. Things we don't even know the first thing about taking care of now and here is a whole huge book that was obviously consulted many times with loads of information. Some of the other books have "John Bomer" written in the front and a copyright date of 1913. John Bomer is Grandma Betty's dad which would be the kiddos' Great Great-Grandpa!!! I feel so blessed to have these books in our hands and on this wonderful bookshelf that has so much meaning and purpose from our family's legacy.
The bottom shelf is a bunch of old kids books and I was able to add into it some books from my mom and dad and that were mine as a kid too... this new display area is my favorite thing to look at in our home now and brings all of our families and the last 4 generations together in one area!
Here's a side view!
Eureka Fruit Farm and U.F.C.O were some of the fruit farms Gus worked for!















































No comments:
Post a Comment