"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5

Every Opportunity

Interested in my adventures in homeschooling, my research and experimentation with natural/frugal living and the things God has been teaching me lately? Visit me here at Every Opportunity



How Old is Amelia?

How Old is Joshua?

How Old is Lydia?

How Old is Joseph?

How Old is Benjamin?

How Old is Evangeline?

7.06.2011

The Scorpion vs. The Vacuum Cleaner

My new best friend. My vaccum. Good for 120 lb. Great Pyrenees hair during 110 degree shedding weather. Good for Arizona desert dust that accumulates faster than my frequent bathroom trips 6 months pregnant. Good for sucking up infestations of flies so you don't look like an idiot trying to swat 20 flies in thin air with a dish towel. And good for sucking up Scorpions! I have replaced my old method of Scorpion killing with the boot on the bottom of a golf club (see this previous post link) http://thejardons.blogspot.com/2009/07/scorpions.html and upgraded to the vacuum cleaner. Read the story below to find out how fantastic of a machine this 6 year old vacuum really is.
This week Aunti Abbi (a.k.a. Attie as Amelia calls her) came to help watch Amelia while I worked and Adam played in a few golf tournaments out of state. My worry for our guests whenever they come is that those unsightly Arizona creatures we call Scorpions will make their appearance. Uck! Well... we haven't seen a Scorpion in our house in awhile (the last one was on Amelia's closet door that we saw as we got her ready for bed!). I guess I should have known the time was getting close, or that we're now in the 110's which is perfect Scorpion appearance weather. BUT I never would have thought poor Attie would have to suffer having a Scorpion crawl on her arm as she rested in my most beloved comfy chair in our living room. This ocurred at 10 AM on a day in between two of my shifts so I was upstairs sleeping. Attie brushed it off not knowing at first what it was and quickly realized what had happened. At this point the Scorpion disappeared! So... I woke up at 4 PM and came downstairs to find her and Millie sitting on the dining room chairs watching a movie. She explained why they weren't on the couch which resulted in our ultimate Scorpion hunt! We pulled the couch out and caught a glimpse of it quickly scurry back under the couch, we pushed the couch back in and couldn't find it... we got our running shoes on ready to stomp it and grabbed another pair of thick shoes in our hands in preparation. I had a revelation as we pulled the couch out and I realized I was 2 years overdue in vacuuming behind the couch so I got out the vacuum for after we killed the intruder and I wondered... we've been using our vacuum to suck up flies when we had our fly infestation last month, I wonder if we can suck up the Scorpion with the vacuum extension thus eliminating the need to get close to it to commit our murder. So we proceeded on the hunt, we removed the couch cushions one by one very carefully and after inspecting we saw it slowly crawling along one of the missing cushion areas and I did it... turned the power on the vacuum and aimed the extention right at it and it sucked right in! Success! But now what do we do with the vacuum canister? I'm sure the roller coaster ride through the vacuum wasn't powerful enough to kill it. My plan was to put the vacuum outside and let Adam deal with it next week when he got home (I can go 1 week without vacuuming right)... but Attie and I both knew she wouldn't rest well until she saw it dead. So we moved the vacuum outside, got our gloves and opened the canister and out it tried to scurry... good thing Attie planned ahead and had Millie's golf club in hand which we used to smash the Scorpion to it's death! Success! Victory! Scorpion hunters prevail again! And I have a new found love for my vacuum... this vacuum will never be replaced!

No comments:

Post a Comment