"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5
Every Opportunity
Interested in my adventures in homeschooling, my research and experimentation with natural/frugal living and the things God has been teaching me lately? Visit me here atEvery Opportunity
How Old is Amelia?
How Old is Joshua?
How Old is Lydia?
How Old is Joseph?
How Old is Benjamin?
How Old is Evangeline?
7.30.2009
SCORPIONS!!!
Yes... scorpions. My single most biggest fear since moving to the desert. When will the day come when a nasty slimy "flick flick pinch pinch" tailed scorpion's presence would cross paths with me? We have had some sort of refuge living the last year on the second level of our apt complex which seems to shelter us from many of the desert creepy crawlers but homeownership brings a different perspective. Well the first of three scorpion appearances so far (yes three times!) arrived when Adam was out of town... by the sheer grace of God I am certain, my mom was there. We left the new house after painting all day and in the garage I looked and said (ok more like freaked out) "mom! is that a scorpion?!?!" to which her reply as she quickly took off her shoe and started smacking at the scorpion on the wall was "i don't know i think so".... splat and that scorpion met it's death! Well it must have been a scorpion mama or dada who was survived by a little scorpion baby who decided to head towards our baby's room for sympathy maybe, a few days later (fortunately Amelia is still in my belly and not in her actual room yet) and Adam was the fortunate one to meet this little guy on the wall to which he calmly said "hey it's a baby scorpion" and flushed it down the toilet. Needless to say the next day we had the pest control over. $300 some odd dollars and our house was sprayed inside and out. Now you may be wondering... was there three scorpion appearances or two... it was not a typo at the beginning of my post... after pest man came we had a retaliation scorpion appearance. Apparently they live inside our walls (lovely) and when the house gets sprayed it draws them out for the first week or so (again... lovely... why didn't we do this while the house was still vacant?) So one quiet evening I go to the bathroom in our master bathroom and then go back downstairs to get some water to which I hear my husband yell from upstairs "BABE! DON'T COME IN OUR BATHROOM THERE'S A SCORPION ON THE CEILING!!!" Yes, the same bathroom I was just in. This I am convinced was the other parent of the dead mama or dada and baby scorpion we had kindly sent to a nasty place I'm sure only scorpions go to. My husband (so strong and courageous) grabs the camera to take some pictures since this was a big one and then puts some gloves on and picks it up in his hand (I still prefer my mom's violent beating with a shoe but that's just me) he drops it on the ground where the scorpion poses for some more last minute pics before his death and then my husband smashes him dead and flushes him down the toilet as well. I am hoping this scorpion family does not have any local aunts and uncles who desire to retaliate against us in the near future... I have had enough in the last 2 weeks to last me the rest of my life. Now my next fear is what will I do when I see a scorpion and my mom or my husband is not there to rescue me? My solution reverts back to my homemade pest killer that I've used on many occasions back in Colorado to kill other pests that in perspective now are as innocent and tiny as mere working ants... the golf club (and it must be a driver... not an iron) and one of Adam's giant basketball shoes. This gives me leverage and distance between my body and the creature about to hopefully meet its death. Here is what my contraption looks like:..And here's what Adam's contraption looks like And here's my mom's killing device of choice
ew ew ew ew ew!!!! that's worse than anything we ever experienced in africa or anywhere else. i think i would be afraid all of the time. you are a strong woman. i like your weapon best - keeps you a safe distance away.
ew ew ew groose. it's gonna take me awhile to recover from this post.
Welcome to our family blog. We started in 2006 as a way to stay in contact with friends and family during our summer project missions trips to Serbia with Campus Crusade. Since then we have expanded the blog to include family updates and pictures. I have another blog that focuses on my learning adventures as a stay at home mom and a newbie to the homeschool and frugal living world : ) and things the Lord is teaching me... please stop by at www.everyopportunity.wordpress.com. Adam and I met in college at a Campus Crusade weekly meeting in 2004. We were married January 7, 2006. Amelia was born October 2009, Joshua October 2011, Lydia May 2013, Joseph January 2015, Benjamin November 2016 and Evangeline February 2018. We are so blessed and are loving the journey God has us on!
ew ew ew ew ew!!!! that's worse than anything we ever experienced in africa or anywhere else. i think i would be afraid all of the time. you are a strong woman. i like your weapon best - keeps you a safe distance away.
ReplyDeleteew ew ew groose. it's gonna take me awhile to recover from this post.