Yes. It happened.
Our first broken bone.
And it was our poor sweet little Lyddie!!!
When we do school we all sit at our bar height dinner table. Lydia still doesn't sit with us as she would prefer to just play around with toys. I had seen her climb up the dinner table chairs once in the previous week but did not know that it was her new thing. Well... I went to the bathroom for all of 1 minute and in that time Josh had got down from "his spot" to get something and she tried to climb up into his spot. When he returned he pushed her off. After all it was his spot right !!! Yikes! Somehow this sweet little girl landed just right to break her poor little leg!
I heard screaming and crying (not too unusual around here) and found her on the floor and quickly learned Josh had pushed her off the chair. She would not get up for me. I tried touching her foot and moving her ankle gently and she screamed in pain. So I assumed she had twisted her little ankle. I put her down for a nap and afterwards she still reacted the same. I called the Dr. and they said to just wait and see and follow the classic RICE treatment (Rest Ice Compression Elevation). Well the next day was the same but by the 3rd day she started limping around (this was a change from her crawling around so I saw this as an improvement). The next couple days her limp started getting better and she would no longer scream when I moved her ankle and foot around. But the limp wasn't going away. I gave her over the weekend as now I didn't see it as an "emergency" and thought on Mon morning I'd call again since it would've been 1 full week. Well I called Mon and they wanted to see her but couldn't get her in until Tuesday!
Tuesday comes and we go in... as the Dr. starts squeezing her leg she begins screaming with the familiar painful scream so the Dr. sent us over for some xrays.
Broken.
: (
We needed to get a cast on but the office in Springs could not get it done until late the following day so we decided to trek up to Denver to get it casted.
She did so good! She just sat very still and watched her cast it. She never moved or cried. What a little sweetie!
And everyone else did really good! It was a longgggggg day! We started at 9 AM (although a friend of mine watched Amelia and Josh for our first appt and xrays until 11) and we had a little lunch break with Adam while we waited for the xray results and finished our day at 7 PM when we got back home from Denver
What am I supposed to do with this?!?!
Why me ?!?!?!
Signing the cast!
My turn!
Beepa even got to sign the cast!!!
We went back after the first 2 weeks and they xrayed it again. The Dr. said it was healing perfectly and she was ready to get a short cast on.
Here she is examining her leg during her few minutes of freedom from a cast!
On my way to recovery!
Cute pink one this time! It's so tiny!
Signing the new cast!
Here is the xray of the broken bone... you can see the little crick torwards the bottom
And here it is 2 weeks later. It doesn't look right just yet but they said the crook is getting better and that bone should straighten out in the next 2 weeks. Then she'll be in a brace for a few more weeks and should heal just fine and be like there was nothing that happened in the first place!
One thing is for sure... our little bitty is a trooper!!!!
Here we are another 2 1/2 weeks after getting the short cast put on and we're ready to get it off!
Yay! Good-bye cast!
Here we are another 2 1/2 weeks after getting the short cast put on and we're ready to get it off!
Uh oh! She's so sad to say good-bye to her friend! Or it's tears of joy! Or it's because the cast saw scared her a bit this time : )
They took another x-ray and he said it was healing great! You can still see a little bend in the bone but there is some new bone that's hard to see on this photo that has developed to the side of the old bone and over time the old bone will straighten out into the new bone and she'll be as good as new!Yay! Good-bye cast!





































No comments:
Post a Comment